On this episode Jen gets to chat with Kim Drobes who is the co-host and executive producer of the RoShamBo podcast which features unique competitions and extraordinary competitors. Only ten episodes in, Kim's background in radio and a previous podcast gave her all the skills she needed for a successful podcast launch!
Kim's Podcasting Smarter Tips:
- Treat your podcast like a business. Set money aside to spend on the show, and come up with a launch plan. Kim and her co-host Ted each contributed $1,000 to invest in the podcast. Find out how they spent the money!
- Plan a launch party! Not only is it a way for you to celebrate the work that went into starting your show, but it also gives you the opportunity to get friends and family excited, thank the people that helped you, and even attract your first fans.
- Consider a long running Facebook ad. We aren't talking about boosting a post. Kim spent several hundred dollars on a long running, highly targeted ad through Facebook Ads Manager. But first, they produced a nice video using the Headliner App.
- Kim and Ted also spent time creating a nice website on Squarespace. Check it out.
- Having a launch plan also gave them time to work out mistakes. For instance, Squarespace was great for their website, but didn't work so well as a hosting platform. That's when they switched to Podbean. :)
- The launch plan also included distribution--before officially launching, they made sure their podcast was in all the places--including Apple, Google Play, Stitcher, iHeart, Spotify, etc.
- They also produced a lot of content in advance so they could launch their show and schedule their pre-produced episodes smoothly.
- Kim wanted to produce the kind of show that she likes to listen to. Her episodes are highly produced, and thanks to her radio background, she has the skills to produce her ideal show.
- Kim's advice to new podcasters: Just start! Starting is the harder part. Don't get bogged down in all the nuances and the desire for it to be perfect. Have a plan, make it happen. You can always delete it later.
Kim's hypothetical podcast about her life: Travel and Ping Pong
Kim's fantasy podcaster: Her grandmother!
Kim's Favorite RoShamBo episode: Frozen Dead Guys Days' Coffin Race
You can listen to RoShambo wherever you listen to podcasts and you can find them on social media @roshambopodcast on all platforms.